Before the church was started, a group of people met together in the home of John A. Mahaffey for worship with the intent to start a new church. In February 1939 the Northside Baptist Church was organized and the members purchased the land of the present site of the church. Later that year the church petitioned and was accepted into the Saluda Baptist Association in September. Between 1939 and l956 Rev. J Harold Smith, Rev. B.B. Caldwell, Rev. J. Horace Brown and Rev. Emory K. Anderson served as pastors of the church. On October 28, l95l the members voted to change the name of the church to Main Street Baptist Church.
During the fall of l956 the church was not growing but declining. Due to the circumstances of attendance and finances, the church sought to request mission status with the First Baptist Church. At this time First Baptist Church was seeking to establish a mission in the North Anderson area and this proved to be acceptable to them. On October 10, l956 the church completely reorganized and became known as North Anderson Baptist Church.
The first sermon preached at the new mission was by Dr. Cort R. Flint, pastor of First Baptist Church. With many volunteers, and under the leadership of Rev. Arthur Cain and Rev. Charles Shacklette, the new work progressed well. In June of 1957 Rev. Macklyn Hubbell, a graduate of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, became the full-time pastor. On July 19, 1959, the North Anderson Baptist congregation, with the approval of First Baptist Church, agreed to become a separate part of the “Body of Christ”. On January 6, 1960, the North Anderson Baptist congregation voted to declare her a church, affirming all decisions made as a mission and requesting admittance into the fellowship of the Saluda Baptist Association.
The church had grown in many ways over the years. An educational wing was added in 1972-73 and additional property has been purchased to allow for church growth. A complete renovation of the sanctuary along with outside landscaping was finished in 1999. There have been many wonderful men of God who have sought to lead the church to reach people for Christ and to be a witness to the community. God has truly blessed the family of God here at NABC over the years.
Missions have been a vital part of North Anderson Baptist Church’s heritage. Support has been provided by North Anderson for struggling churches: one in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, named Frankfort Avenue Baptist Church and another called Blackwolf Southern Baptist Church in West Virginia. Mission work teams consisting of adults and youth have been sent to Oklahoma, New York, Ohio, Massachusetts, Texas, Kentucky, and South Carolina as well. Foreign missions opportunities have been realized as well in Venezuela, Haiti, Guatemala and Sierra Leone and Kenya, Africa.We presently have international missionaries assigned to Africa, Frank and Sharon Arthur.We also have a couple, King and Jackie Fulton, who travel the United States and Canada serving the Lord through missions.
God has set North Anderson Baptist Church in a strategic location to reach Anderson, South Carolina for Christ. The past has been special and inspiring, but we must live in the present, fulfilling the purpose of the church for today. We look to the future with hope to reach the vision to which we have been called by God.