Slater Baptist Church
Greenville, South Carolina
With the help of the Janie Chapman Offering, Slater Baptist Church provided a dinner on Christmas Day for lonely people in their community. They served 42 people which is nearly half of their known homeless community!
• Pray for Slater Baptist Church as they serve a poverty impacted community in Greenville County.
• Pray for the Catoe family as they continue church revitalization efforts with Slater Baptist.
• Pray for all of our South Carolina Baptist churches to demonstrate God’s love to the marginalized in their own communities, as Slater Baptist has done in theirs.
Funds from the Janie Chapman Offering were used to replace a broken washing machine on the Florence Baptist Association’s Disaster Relief shower/laundry unit last year so that clothes could be washed for residents that had to be evacuated from a storm-damaged nursing home.
• Pray that the two new shower/laundry units being built in South Carolina this year will be completed and will have volunteers to serve when needs arrive.
• Pray for leaders to find effective ways to provide training amidst the ongoing social distancing restrictions of the pandemic.
• Pray for wisdom in responding to any type of event, including hurricanes, during the pandemic, with restrictions affecting the way Disaster Relief teams can be housed, fed, work, and travel together.
Vietnamese Church Planting
South Carolina Baptist churches – Vietnamese Blessing and Greenville Vietnamese – are reaching Vietnamese people in the upstate. They have a vision to help start a new congregation in the midlands to share the gospel with several thousand Vietnamese living there. The Janie Chapman Offering provides training for ethnic church leaders and start-up assistance for new work like the Vietnamese church plant.
• Pray for these two churches as they reach the Vietnamese community in South Carolina.
• Pray for God to provide a church planter to lead a new Vietnamese work in the midlands.
• Pray for an existing church in the Columbia area to serve as a sponsoring church for this new work.
East Asia Partnership
Japan is a country where only 1% of the population has a relationship with Jesus. The 2020 Tokyo Olympics were postponed until 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Janie Chapman offering will provide training and resources for South Carolina Baptist missions volunteers to serve with International Mission Board (IMB) missionaries and Japanese Baptist churches during that strategic event.
• Pray for the missions volunteers and churches who are preparing to share Jesus during the Olympic games next summer.
• Pray for Japanese Baptist churches to have a vision for reaching people with the gospel.
Charleston, South Carolina
Radiant Community is an intentionally diverse church plant located in North Charleston. Pastor Philip Pinckney planted the church three years ago in order to be a Gospel light in a hard part of the city. He’s married to Jenny and has two sons, Ezra and Judah, with a girl on the way! Through the Start Network and partnership funding provided by the Janie Chapman Offering, Pastor Philip and Radiant church have been able to provide for the physical needs of those in their communities, while also giving the neighborhood the Hope of the Gospel.
• Pray for financial provision as we continue to grow and serve our community.
• Pray for God to raise up Godly elders and leaders within the church.
• Pray for greater unity in our church as we are a diverse congregation.